#1 mulambo

mulambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hi there,

what I would consider a great feature for future software upgrade would be the
ability to recall presets and palettes by MIDI note- on- messages.
As operator, I actually donīt mind pressing either a MIDI- Key or a F/A- Button
on the console for flashing channels or scenes, but as the presets and palettes
are not to be reached directly,this would make working with the Maxim much faster
and would save lots of Red Bank Faders and F/Aīs.

Kind regards, Sven

#2 garyP

garyP

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hi mulambo,

What a great suggestion.
Let's put it to the engineers and see what is possible.

Gary

#3 dargs

dargs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

I too am looking at a way of recalling presets with a fade time, either preset, or programmed. Trying to setup remote control of the lighting desk for 'presenters' and other non-AV/Lighting staff. The idea of only being able to Flash a channel/preset is a bit limiting, 20kW+ of lights ON or OFF is a bit scary.

Considering programing 24 presets at different levels, and using 24 midi Note-ON/OFFs to ramp thru the presets, to emulate a fade up/down. Which I think is actually what I'll have to do unless anyone else has some good ideas?

Thanks

Dargs.
Melbourne, Australia.

#4 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hi Dargs,

Why not use scenes to fade up the presets, rather than the flash buttons?

You can place a preset into a scene, then the fader will control the intensity in real time (or pre-programmed) and the move times for the Pan/Tilt, etc can also be programmed for a slow move if desired.

Then use the Red/Blue faders for control.

I am more than happy to drop in and spend some time working out what you want and how to achieve it. Just let me know a suitable time/date.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#5 dargs

dargs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

Hi Richie, Thanks for the reply.

I should have explained it a little bit more. The console (maXim M) is used in a bio box to console 24chs studio lighting and some dmx fixtures. That's ok, and using presets to set scenes works well.

The next step we're doing is having an AMX system installed to control other AV within the space, from outside of the biobox, ie when the studio gets used for presentations to control motorised screens and projectors from a lectern or wall panel.

I know I can get the AMX to output MIDI note on/off messages, and program changes (used to control a scenes on a Yamaha DM1000 audio console). But reading up on the maXim's MIDI control, looks like you can only control physical buttons on the console, ie Flash / stack forwards/backwards.

So one thing I haven't tried was recording a scene with fade times, then 'flashing' that scene to see if it keeps the fade times.

I really just want to be able to do preset 1 on, preset 2 on, etc.. and pre-program the various states of house lights/lectern/stagewash etc. and recall that with MIDI.

My other options was to use an RS232-DMX box that can store presets, and get a LTP dmx 'switcher' to take over from the maXim when we just need to bring up a preset.

Sounds confusing yet?!

Any ideas would be good,

thanks

Dargs

QUOTE (LSC TechSupport @ 27 Apr 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dargs,

Why not use scenes to fade up the presets, rather than the flash buttons?

You can place a preset into a scene, then the fader will control the intensity in real time (or pre-programmed) and the move times for the Pan/Tilt, etc can also be programmed for a slow move if desired.

Then use the Red/Blue faders for control.

I am more than happy to drop in and spend some time working out what you want and how to achieve it. Just let me know a suitable time/date.

#6 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Hi Dargs,

Ok that makes total sense now.

The answer is NO, the flash buttons do NOT use the recorded fade times, they are instant response.

So it is back to waiting for R&D to look at how to control faders via MIDI. Give it a month or two and see what churns out.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#7 dargs

dargs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hi Richie,

I noticed there is a new firmware for these desks, 3.20 (8-June-09). Are there any changes the the MIDI features? Can't seem to find a firmware notes as to what has changed.

Thanks

Dargs

#8 dargs

dargs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hi Forum readers.

I got a response off-forum to say that no new MIDI features were added in the latest firmware, and that more interest from users was required to justify these features. (eg 10-20 users ?)

So if there's anyone else out there using these consoles, and wants more than just Note On/Off button control, ie program change or anything that allows scenes/chases to be recalled via MIDI (with fade times) feel free to pipe up and let LSC know!

Thanks

dargs

#9 gfhprod

gfhprod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:21 AM

I would absolutely be interested in more MIDI functionality. I do a lot of sequencing work, and like to work out lighting beforehand, and to be able to use fades and other changes via MIDI would be GREAT!
Gerard Hook GCP Sound & Lighting www.gcp.rr.nu gcpsoundlight@gmail.com Sound/Lighting Technician

#10 mulambo

mulambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:35 AM

Any news on that topic?

Kind regards, mulambo

#11 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

Sorry Mulambo, but 2 users out of about 5,000 does not really give us enough reason to make the software changes you requested.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#12 Mr X

Mr X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Lighting Design, Sound engineering, Midi, Set Design, 3d software, Film/TV production, Quantum physics, Applied Engineering. People that think outside the Box, exposing peoples delusions. Doing the impossible on short notice. Contributing to those that pursue excellence and ice-cream.

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

I don't think the LCS team get's this midi thing. Looking from the 'inside out', the view is "Not enough users need this".

But from the 'outside in', the view is; "That's because midi users won't buy your Maxim".

E.G. I bought a XTC because of 2 reasons.

1/ The manual said there was a midi option.

2/ I could evaluate the Maxim before buying, because the XTC is basically a Maxim without fader's.

It would be unlikely that I buy a Maxim because:

1/ The manual was incorrect on a midi option.

2/ LSC can't 'see out' into the market that buys consoles with midi control. (e.g. Elation Show Designer).

Perspective Versus the Reality.

#13 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

FYI.

We are in the process of doing a major MIDI implementation into our Clarity software and LX consoles as part of the v2.1 upgrade.

We know this does not help existing maXim users, but it will be of interest to those looking at new consoles in the near future.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#14 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

E.G. I bought a XTC because of 2 reasons.

1/ The manual said there was a midi option.

2/ I could evaluate the Maxim before buying, because the XTC is basically a Maxim without fader's.

It would be unlikely that I buy a Maxim because:

1/ The manual was incorrect on a midi option.

2/ LSC can't 'see out' into the market that buys consoles with midi control. (e.g. Elation Show Designer).

The Xtc manual was not incorrect. There was a MIDI option available when the console was first released, but we stopped making the Xtc many years ago and the MIDI option is no longer available.

You are correct in saying that if MIDI is a major requirement for you then the maXIm may not be the best option for your needs. One of the great things about our industry is that there are many manufacturers out there, each with a particular niche in the market, and different perspectives on what different users want and need. Our focus with the maXim was to make it "Powerfully SImple" and to have lots of hands on control of the show. Hence we added lots of playbacks with buttons and faders instead of MIDI options. 

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#15 Mr X

Mr X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Lighting Design, Sound engineering, Midi, Set Design, 3d software, Film/TV production, Quantum physics, Applied Engineering. People that think outside the Box, exposing peoples delusions. Doing the impossible on short notice. Contributing to those that pursue excellence and ice-cream.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for your Explanation. I'll put it with the other 2 stories for a total of 3 different accounts(ALL LSC MANAGEMENT SOURCES)!

1/  "The XTC was never meant to have midi. I don't know how it slipped into the manual."

2/  "The XTC was meant to have Midi, but because of low sales it was never implemented."

3/  "The XTC was available with midi until we stopped making it."

Perhaps your staff should get together and settle on 1 version, irregardless of it's accuracy!

If 'YOUR' answer is correct ( I checked you out and as a result believe that you should know the facts) then I have a follow up question(s);

How many XTC's were made? How many had Midi.

With your answers, I can calculate the probability of a Midi equipped XTC becoming available on the global market.

Also I have a query as to your previous comment;

"You are correct in saying that if MIDI is a major requirement for you then the Maxim may not be the best option for your needs."

,,, Are you implying that irregardless of your own manuals and the marketing material, that Maxon doesn't have Midi either?

Or is this your polite way to say 'Go Away we don't like poignant questions!'

If so, I would like to point out that these fact based exchanges lay the foundation for future users of the XTC.

The XTC is beginning to appear on the second hand market and there will be others that follow me in their search for facts and indications that you have an overall support system for past, present and future products.

Either way you've missed my point. It's not about Midi. It's about correct support and information, irregardless of the product.

It doesn't matter how good you think your products are if you can't be consistent and accurate with information and answers.

Neither do I find your wonder at other companies doing different things as an excuse for not listening to you users.

Look at the 'Midi suggestions' on your site and read the excuses for not listening to the feedback.

Please note that the viewers of this supposed 'No-ones interested topic' is high compared to the comments.'

The Data implies that,,

1/ There are many people interested in this function. (or no-one would view the topic)

2/Anyone that reads these threads probably won't add to the suggestions because,, IT JUST DOESN'T GET IN MRS MARSH!

I won't be buying a Maxim. And the issue isn't Midi.

But now that I've invested so much time filtering the information (including the discovery that your search engine didn't search all the documents), this XTC 'WILL' be deployed for something.

Perhaps you should create a new position within your company that isn't in the pursuit of optimism. In the Vatican i believe it's called a "Devils Advocate". 

Looking forward to your response.

Regards Gary Cullen

#16 Mr X

Mr X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

Append.

'Midi Features' in Suggestions

14 replies

#17 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi Gary,

We are very sorry if you got different stories about the MIDI option for XTC. It was a long time ago (in product development timelines) and memories can get blurry over time, we are human after all.

I cannot reveal how many XTC units were made, as that information is regarded as commercial in confidence. However I am prepared to say that less than 1% of units were ordered with the MIDI option. So the chances of one coming up in the 2nd hand market is very low indeed.

The reason I suggested that  if MIDI is a major requirement for you then the maXIm may not be the best option for your needs. is NOT because MIDI does not exist in the maXim (It definitely does exist!). I said it because the MIDI software in the maXim is fairly simple and there are no plans to change it. From the details in your posts it sounds like you want a very advanced MIDI implementation, therefore I suggested that other products by other manufacturers may be of more interest to you. It is nothing to do with whether your question is poignant or not - I am simply stating the facts so that you can make an informed decision for your next console purchase.

Yes the post has been viewed many 1,000's of times, but a quick check of the admin back end shows that a large number of those 'visits' were 'bots', so the numbers are not to be trusted.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#18 Mr X

Mr X

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for your honest reply. I agree that with the bot's fudging the numbers, my analysis of the numbers is flawed.

No complaints at all at that response.

Regards Gary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users