23 replies to this topic

#1 garyP

garyP

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:57 AM

We have become aware of a problem with loading Version 3 software onto very early maXim consoles especially the maXim S.

Owners of early maXIm S consoles may find that it is not possible to load version 3 software onto their console or even if it does load, it may not operate properly.

As the maXim software has evolved and become feature rich, more memory (RAM) is required to run the software.
Early maXims may not have the required amount of memory loaded into them to run Version 3 code.

Prior to attempting to load Version 3 code into a maXim we urge you to first check how much memory is loaded into your maXim.
This can be checked using the diagnostics menu (see the manual for how to do this).
If the maXim reports that it has less than 512K of memory on board then we suggest that you not upgrade your maXim S until you load more memory into the console.

Further information regarding this matter will be posted here shortly.

#2 JoeASP

JoeASP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Right.

I have just updated the software on my XLP console to version 3, and its buggered it.

On the older sotware i could just about fit 20 fixtures into the library, now i struggle
to fit 7.

Everytime i try to add an additional fixture it resets the desk.
And half the fixtures i try to add invoke a warning.

I am very dissatisfied with this, as i have been finding problems with the desk and software
every other show over the past few months, and had hoped this software update might fix
some of the problems, instead its made things worse.

Tech support - please work your magic ASAP, as the desk is currently unuseable.

#3 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hi Joe,

There are no other reports of any librry issues with v3.01, despite the XLP software having been downloaded by over 60 users.

So there are two possible explanations

1) Did you clear the fixture library and do a Hardware Reset after updating to v3.01? If not then we would expect you to get the exact errors that you describe.

2) You may have a hardware fault. What were the "problems with the desk and software every other show over the past few months" that you were getting. Maybe they are related to a hardware issue that is slowly getting worse.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#4 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:33 PM

Another question.

What error messages are you getting when you cannot load fixtures. We need to know the exact words displayed so that we can work out if it is a corrupt template file, disc drive problem, software bug, or memory problem.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#5 sharukh

sharukh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:52 AM

Hi,
I am having a problem installing this version (3.01) of the software on my XTC console.It is going through the process.It checks the disk gives the 1 to 2 minutes warning then the desk seems to do nothing for a while then the message"System reset complete" comes. After this as instructed i switch off the console and switch it on after 15 seconds while holding the yes and no buttons. Still the old software version shows (2.22). Even the library is not erased as is supposed to happen with this software.
The other problem is my LP resets while programming using the patpad.It never did this earlier so i am a little concerned.It has crossed my mind that maybe this is a problem with some profiles i have made.Is this possible?The fact that has led me to draw this conclusion is that i have two LP's and one has some specially recently made profiles that the other doesnt. The other one rarely ever does a system reset.
The third issue is one of my templates for a Martin CX2 is refusing to reload after upgrading.Only one template is giving this problem and the console does an immediate system reset.
Please help me soon.
Thanks
Sharukh

#6 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (sharukh @ 21 Oct 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I am having a problem installing this version (3.01) of the software on my XTC console.It is going through the process.It checks the disk gives the 1 to 2 minutes warning then the desk seems to do nothing for a while then the message"System reset complete" comes.

Can you please go into Diagnostics mode and tell us the error reporting under function #10. This will tell us what is causing the System Reset and we can then solve the problem.

After this as instructed i switch off the console and switch it on after 15 seconds while holding the yes and no buttons. Still the old software version shows (2.22). Even the library is not erased as is supposed to happen with this software.
The other problem is my LP resets while programming using the patpad.It never did this earlier so i am a little concerned.It has crossed my mind that maybe this is a problem with some profiles i have made.Is this possible?The fact that has led me to draw this conclusion is that i have two LP's and one has some specially recently made profiles that the other doesnt. The other one rarely ever does a system reset.

Are both consoles running the same version of software?
Again please go into diagnostics next time it does a System Reset and tell us the error message.
Also please e-mail us a copy of the show files that crash and we will have a look. It is possible that a bad template can cause issues in v2.22, but we fixed this issue in v3.01 (but maybe something else sneaked in).

The third issue is one of my templates for a Martin CX2 is refusing to reload after upgrading.Only one template is giving this problem and the console does an immediate system reset.

Please send us a copy of the template and we will have a look. Also tell us the Error message from the Diagnostics menu.

Please help me soon.
Thanks
Sharukh

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#7 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi Sharukh,

Just one more little question.

Where on earth did you get v3.xx for the Xtc console from? unsure.gif

I reported your upgrade problem to R&D yesterday and they advised me that this is a known issue and therefore v3.x has never been released for the Xtc !!!

So please tell me where you got it from as it is has not come from our website.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#8 sharukh

sharukh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:29 AM

hi
I did get it from your website. I got the maxim lp software from the lp section, similarly i got the xtc software from the xtc section. I will gt back to you on the rest asap.Where can i send the files?let me know.
Thanks
Sharukh

#9 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Send the files to techsupport at lsclighting dot com dot au or just attach them to a posting here on the forum.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#10 Mike Dobson

Mike Dobson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Trying to add the upgrade... I've downloaded it... unzipped it... and copied it to a floppy... and I get the message 'No upgrade on disk'

Also... is there a way for me to upgrade the console to memory stick interface from the floppy it has now?

#11 garyP

garyP

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi Mike,

The error message is saying that it cannot find the upgrade file on the disk.
This can mean either that the file is not there, the disk is corrupt of that there is a problem in your system somewhere.

Let's take the easy one first in case you happen to have the wrong file on the disk.
Depending on what size console you have determines which file the system will look for.
MAX/S --- MX12V320.PRG
MAX/M --- MX24V320.PRG
MAX/MP --- MXMPV320.PRG
MAX/L or MAX/LP --- MX36V320.PRG
MAX/XL or MAX/XLP --- MX48V320.PRG
MAX/XXL or MAX/XXLP --- MX60V320.PRG

So from the above table make sure that you can see the correct file on the floppy and then try again.

Once you have upgraded the code to version 3, the old floppy interface can be removed and the new USB interface put in and the software will automatically recognise it.

Gary

#12 Mike Dobson

Mike Dobson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (garyP @ 17 Aug 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Mike,

The error message is saying that it cannot find the upgrade file on the disk.
This can mean either that the file is not there, the disk is corrupt of that there is a problem in your system somewhere.

Let's take the easy one first in case you happen to have the wrong file on the disk.
Depending on what size console you have determines which file the system will look for.
MAX/S --- MX12V320.PRG
MAX/M --- MX24V320.PRG
MAX/MP --- MXMPV320.PRG
MAX/L or MAX/LP --- MX36V320.PRG
MAX/XL or MAX/XLP --- MX48V320.PRG
MAX/XXL or MAX/XXLP --- MX60V320.PRG

So from the above table make sure that you can see the correct file on the floppy and then try again.

Once you have upgraded the code to version 3, the old floppy interface can be removed and the new USB interface put in and the software will automatically recognise it.

Gary

Thank you for the response... Will try that.

Where would I get the USB interface upgrade? From you? Cost? Etc.

#13 garyP

garyP

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hi Mike,

Depends very much on where you are located.
Have a look at our dealer list on our website - any of them should be able to help you out.
Price also will depend on where you are.

Gary

#14 alpaulwl

alpaulwl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade a Maxim XL to version 3.20 so I can install the USB upgrade. I have followed all of the instructions and get an Incorrect Checksum message. I have tried all the usual things.. Different floppies, re-formatting floppies, turning it off and on again (while holding down yes and no), checked the memory (1024k), re-downloaded the software..

Nothing seems to work. I upgraded 4 Maxim M's this morning and they worked fine with no issues.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Al

#15 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

Hi Al,

An XL with only 1024K of RAM is probably not going to like v3.20

I am guessing that the other units were either smaller consoles (eg. L) or they had more RAM (eg. 1536K).

Try installing more RAM and see if the unit is happier.

Otherwise you may have a slightly dodgy floppy drive in it. So either swap the drive from another console, or use our Free CodeLINK software to updgrade via an RS232 port on your PC. Full info on this last option can be found on the LSC website under Products - Utilities - CodeLINK.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#16 sev-events.nl

sev-events.nl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Special effects: laser, fire machines, confetti machines, co2 jets/guns, (low)smoke etc....

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Dear ' Tech'

I have a question: I am trying to update a MaximM to the newest software. I recently ordered a USB/MIDI/VGA update board. I received it a short while ago. Yesterday I tried to update the unit, but the units says something like: A fatal error has.... something. I will try again toningt. Now my question is: do I need to update to version 3.20 to only use the usb/midi/vga option ? or does it also run on earlier versions ? An other question: I also have a MaximMP WITH discdrive. Is this the same discdrive to put in a MaximM ? Since I got all the update discs, may be I can set te discdrive over to the MaximM (temporarly).

Looking forward to your reaction.
Thanks,
Regards, Jeffrey.

#17 sev-events.nl

sev-events.nl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Special effects: laser, fire machines, confetti machines, co2 jets/guns, (low)smoke etc....

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

I tried again this evening. I found my Maxim only has 348 kb or mb ? memory. So I updated version 2.20
What happanes when I install the usb/midi/video card ? Will it be regonized and will it function ?

Cheers , Jeffrey.

#18 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hi Jeffrey,

The USB module will not be recognised by v2.20 software, so will need to update to v3.20 before it will all work.

You need to do the following steps in the exact order listed below.

1) Install the new RAM supplied with the upgrade kit.

2) Upgrade to v3.20 software via floppy disc. (Yes you can borrow the floppy disc and card from the MP console).

3) Install the new USB card.

4) Test and have fun.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#19 sev-events.nl

sev-events.nl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Dear sir,

1) Install the new RAM supplied with the upgrade kit.

What do you mean by that ? There is no extra RAM in the package.

The package included:

2 prints, 1 with midi and usb, 1 with VGA output.
1 usb stick (with keycord)
1 package of 4 floppy discs
1 installation manual
1 bag with screws
All together in a white cardboard box.

Regards, Jeffrey.

#20 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hi Jeffrey,

Have you received the memory chips that were sent to you?

Is it now installed and working OK?
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users