• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhantomD

PhantomD

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Theatre Sound + Lighting, ICT, computing.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

Unfortunately our dimmers are directly beside a pair of curtains, and are in an area where lot of people seem to have to be. I had bad thoughts about somebody nudging the buttons on our dimmers potentially changing DMX mapout etc.

Would it be an idea to include a little detachable downward hinged clear platic flip panel cover over the three buttons?
Tell me and I will forget Show me and I will remember Involve me and I will understand

#2 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:35 AM

Yeah nice idea

As a temp fix a cardboard vegetable box from your local supermarket without sides and a cut across the top works as a great cover (just make sure you remember to cut holes for ventilation!)

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

#3 Frodo

Frodo

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Production, IT

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hey Damo,

There is no need to...

this is from the I-series dimmer manual...

4.9 User Interface Lock
The front panel User Interface settings may be locked to protect against accidental pressing of
the scroll or selection push buttons or interference from unauthorised personnel.
Note: If an error occurs while the User Interface Lock is active (on), the error messages will
scroll across the Status display, but the buttons will still be inactive. You will need to unlock the
User Interface to respond to the error.
4.9.1. Locking the User Interface panel
To lock the User Interface panel, the dimmer must be in the ?Drive? state of the following three
modes. Failure to be in this mode, will result in the user not being able to lock the User Interface
panel. The three modes are: a) Channel Drive mode ? refer section 4.3.1. cool.gif Scene Drive mode
? refer section 4.4. and c) Channel Chase Drive mode ? refer section 4.3.2.
Press and hold both Scroll Buttons for five seconds. You will enter the Reset function as
described in Section 5.1. The following message will then scroll across the Status Display ? ?sys
reset inc ? yes dec ? no?. INC means the increment(?) Scroll Button and DEC means the
decrement(/) Scroll Button. Press the decrement button to move to the next menu. This will
bring up a new message on the Status Display ? ? total reset inc ? yes dec ? no?. Press the
decrement button to move to the next menu. The next message on the Status Display will be for
the User Interface lock ? ? UI loc inc ? yes dec ? no?. Press the increment button to lock the
User Interface panel.
The Status Display will now scroll the following message ? ?UI loc active?. If you select ?no?,
then the dimmer will return to the condition it was in when you started.
4.9.2 Unlocking the User Interface panel
To unlock the User Interface panel, press and hold all three push buttons simultaneously for 5
seconds. This will return the dimmer to the operating state that was active prior to locking the
User Interface panel.

Matthew Smith

• Lighting Designer/Operator - LSC Maxim MP/2 x LSC EPak Dimmers/2 x Martin Mac 250 Kryptons &
    Lightfactory/Jands ESP II 24/2 x Jands FP12-A Dimmers
  • Followspot Operator - Selecon Chorus 1200/LSC MonoPak
  • Sound Technician - Soundcraft Spirit Powerstation 1200
  • Camera Operator - Sony VX2100, Focus FireStore FS-4 & Canon XL1S
  • Vision Mixer - Focus MX 4DV
  • Video Editor - Adobe Premier Pro 2.0/Final Cut Pro HD
Matthew Flinders Anglican College
matthewsmith1000@hotmail.com for MSN
Certificate III in Live Production, Theatre and Events (Technical Operations) CUE 30203.

Posted Image

#4 PhantomD

PhantomD

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:36 AM

I thought of that - but it only works if you're in scene or channel drive mode - NOT WHEN RECEIVING INPUT FROM A BOARD! ph34r.gif

Although, it'd be better if the software could be extended to allow this. biggrin.gif

Unless I'm wrong on several counts. rolleyes.gif

Didn't work for me anyway.
Tell me and I will forget Show me and I will remember Involve me and I will understand

#5 Newy

Newy

• Dealers
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

The DMX input will still work no-matter what mode your in.

For example if you have a scene up, (say ch1 @ F) you can still control the rest of the channels via DMX
it all works on a HTP basis, so you could even have channel's in a scene (or in drive) at any level and increase there level via DMX. The one thing to note however is if a channel is up in drive or scene, you won't be able to take it bellow the level set by that scene

So, yes, this mode would fit your needs perfectly!
Andrew Newnham

Total Production Systems
Unit 15/15 Carbon Crt
Osborne Park,
Perth, Western Australia, 6017
Office +61 (8) 9204 2999
Mb: +61 (0) 412 188 307
Fx: +61 (8) 9204 5333
andrew@totalproductions.com.au
http://www.totalproductions.com.au

#6 PhantomD

PhantomD

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:22 AM

Right, so I have to reprogram all my dimmers so they have blank scenes? ph34r.gif

I hadn't thought of that though, ingenious! cool.gif And yes I know about HTP and DMX being responded to no matter what.

Maybe it might be worth doing that for my next show to stop me getting nervous.

And LSC, when is my brand-new dimmer going to be returned, problem fixed? sad.gif

#7 Newy

Newy

• Dealers
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (PhantomD @ Sep 13 2006, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, so I have to reprogram all my dimmers so they have blank scenes? ph34r.gif

I hadn't thought of that though, ingenious! cool.gif And yes I know about HTP and DMX being responded to no matter what.

No, you don't have to re-program your dimmer with Blank scenes!

The Panel lock works in BOTH, Scene mode & Channel Test mode, so under normal operation (i.e. when you are only using a DMX signal to control the dimmer) you just need to press the Select button to enter this mode and then the option to lock becomes avalable.

If you follow the step's in the manual, as Frodo posted earlier, it work, really well, No compromise/modification needed!
Andrew Newnham

Total Production Systems
Unit 15/15 Carbon Crt
Osborne Park,
Perth, Western Australia, 6017
Office +61 (8) 9204 2999
Mb: +61 (0) 412 188 307
Fx: +61 (8) 9204 5333
andrew@totalproductions.com.au
http://www.totalproductions.com.au

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users