#1 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

Hi everyone,
I have read everything I can find on the iPatch, and nothing has really cleared this up...
Does the test circuit on the front show the load as will be pulled by a light at 100% drive?
If I have a series of lights biggybacked into the test, and the meter shows only 3A does this mean that it is safe to use in a 10A iPac output port?

If anyone saw the rig they would die, its 11 lights biggybacked in together lol (all low voltage pinspots and partylights... one non-dmx strobe) and before I risk anything i said "Test Circuit!" but only 3A doesnt seem right... I know that it wont be pulling over the 10A but just not really sure how far under lol...

Thanks

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

#2 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:14 AM

Hi Dawn,

Yes, I would normally expect the test circuit load meter to show the current draw of the equipment plugged in, so yes your 3Amp load would be ok, BUT as most low voltage pinspots have transformers in them and the non-dmx strobe will need to fire the xenon tube it is deffinately not a good idea to run this on a dimmer circuit.

I would suggest the strobe needs to be switched on and off as required from a standard power point or some other switching device that does not ramp the load like a dimmer.

As you say there is around 3Amps which equals approx 720watts load i would suggest that you check this again without the stobe plugged in. You may find that with the party lights and pinspots together there is sufficient load for a dimmer chanel to work correctly.

Steve Tibbits

#3 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE (Theatrel @ Aug 7 2006, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Dawn,

Yes, I would normally expect the test circuit load meter to show the current draw of the equipment plugged in, so yes your 3Amp load would be ok, BUT as most low voltage pinspots have transformers in them and the non-dmx strobe will need to fire the xenon tube it is deffinately not a good idea to run this on a dimmer circuit.

I would suggest the strobe needs to be switched on and off as required from a standard power point or some other switching device that does not ramp the load like a dimmer.

As you say there is around 3Amps which equals approx 720watts load i would suggest that you check this again without the stobe plugged in. You may find that with the party lights and pinspots together there is sufficient load for a dimmer chanel to work correctly.

Steve Tibbits

Hello, Thanks for the reply

Our pinspots at school are just plain bad LOL they don't have transformers, and probably arent even technically pinspots. Its just what theyre called...
Our strobe is also a bit strange... It can be dimmed by a desk (ie fader moved) and this simply controlls the rate. It isnt an on-off kinda thing.

Thanks for the tip, ill do that tomorow and let you know what the load is like without strobe, as well as a proper equip list.

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

#4 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:03 AM

OK, First a proper equip list:
  • 2x 45w (no transformer)
  • 3x 100w (no transformer)
  • 4x 120w (no transformer)
  • 1x 200w strobe (rate dimmer controlled)

Second, Test Circuit Load:
  • With strobe, strobe "rate master" set to 1/2, 3.5A
  • With strobe, strobe "rate master" set to full, 4A
  • Without strobe, 3A

Hope this helps

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

#5 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Hi Owen,

From the equipment list you have I can't see any problems.

It should run fine using a dimmer channel. I am still a little cautious about the strobe though.

Regards
Steve Tibbits

#6 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

OK then cool
Thankyou
Owen

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

#7 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

Owen,

forgive me for being maybe a little lazy and not looking but what desk do you have up there ?

Steve Tibbits

#8 PhantomD

PhantomD

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Theatre Sound + Lighting, ICT, computing.

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:25 AM

He has two desks - a 12/24 minim and a 24/48 axiom. ph34r.gif
Tell me and I will forget Show me and I will remember Involve me and I will understand

#9 TheDawnOfAllWars

TheDawnOfAllWars

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:20 AM

Running into an iPac (12) from an iPatch (48) and a really really really old jands

Owen Hardman
Technical Manager
The Lind Theatre

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users