• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 win95_junky

win95_junky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

Is it possible for in Australia where we have 240volts 10amps running out of a normal power point to some how have an adaptor to use a couple of powerpoints to run a iPAK that is using the 3 phase power supply?
I don't want to rewire the iPAK just have an adaptor so that i can use the dimmer away from its point of the 3 phase socket.

or the other idea was building a dmx controled dimmer that runs of a couple of powerpoints.

Any ideas?

#2 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 18 August 2005 - 11:44 PM

Unfortunately the electrical authorities will not allow you make or use such an adaptor.

This is due to the fact that the the 3 leads (1 per phase) would all share a common neutral connection. If for some reason any of the power points was miswired with an active-neutral swap (which is actually quite common) then it would potentially lethal., as you could have 240v on the pin of a plug that was not plugged in. When someone picks it up they would be electrocuted.

It is also illegal to have more than 1 power lead going into a single device, so you cannot replace the 3phase lead with 3 hardwired leads either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#3 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (win95_junky @ Aug 17 2005, 07:58 AM)
or the other idea was building a dmx controled dimmer that runs of a couple of powerpoints.

Any ideas?

Hi there win95_junky,

There is a DMX controlled 10amp mono pack dimmer available,
a Planet one single channel dmx dimmer.
It is available through Showtechnology Australia.
Web: http://www.showtech.com.au

If you have a look at the page number 21 of the ProShop catalogue
you can see what i mean. I actually own two of them and they work well.
I bought mine through " The Production Shop " in Queensland.
Web: http://www.productionshop.com.au
Retail price around $300.00.

#4 win95_junky

win95_junky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Would it be possible to create an adaptor to let the Dimmer only use 1 phase insted of all 3. eg. only have the 1st phase so that points 1-4 work but none of the others.
That 1 there still is only 1 lead coming out of the device.
The only thing that would be the problem is that the fail lights for the other 2 phase will be on.

Any ideas/thoughts/surgestions?
Thanks
--
Andrew Bob

#5 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 28 September 2005 - 04:02 AM

That sounds like a workable solution.

You just need a single phase plug to a 3phase socket lead. Then wire up 1 phase only on the 3phase socket and it will work perfectly. In fact you could wire all 3 phases to the single incoming phase and it will still work.

It will need a fuse or circuit breaker in the lead somewhere, to limit the total power draw to 10A. Without this it would definately not be legal.

However it still may be illegal. Thereforeyou will need to run this idea past a licensed electrician, before constructing it, to make sure that you are not breaking the law.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#6 win95_junky

win95_junky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

Well I tried it. (not neatly tho)
Used an old extension lead - put the right wires together.
lots of tape.
Turned on the switch - Success biggrin.gif (apart from the error message saying Phase B and C fail, but a press of a button and it went away tongue.gif)
Put some load onto it. It worked.
As i was only powering the A phase of the unit only responded to the first 4 ports (i don?t know what happens to the DMX addressing using this tho. ie is it only address 1-4 then the next unit or dose it still take up address 1-12 - will find it out 1 day when i have 2 dimmers on hand)
I also tried connecting the 3 phases together with each other. But i didn't put any load on them. But the error message went away. When i get hold of a circuit breaker i'll try adding load onto the other ports.

So long story short it worked, with 4 ports insted of all 12.
Will published more info when it comes to hand.

Disclamer: I accept no responsibility for any harm caused trying to reproduce my findings. I educated myself a lot before starting on this idea.

#7 Frodo

Frodo

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Production, IT

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

In aus where im located the 3 phase is 32 amp per phase there for if you wanted to use 1 phase to a full loading of 32 amp you need to have 4 GPO's (3 x 10 amp, 1 x 2 amp (i think this would work i dont know though) powering the phase.

Are u just using the dimmer for a dmx controled GPO for small loads to 2.4kv?

thanks,
frodo

Disclaimer: i accept no responsiblity for any harm that may be cause if a person may reproduce this device.

Matthew Smith

• Lighting Designer/Operator - LSC Maxim MP/2 x LSC EPak Dimmers/2 x Martin Mac 250 Kryptons &
    Lightfactory/Jands ESP II 24/2 x Jands FP12-A Dimmers
  • Followspot Operator - Selecon Chorus 1200/LSC MonoPak
  • Sound Technician - Soundcraft Spirit Powerstation 1200
  • Camera Operator - Sony VX2100, Focus FireStore FS-4 & Canon XL1S
  • Vision Mixer - Focus MX 4DV
  • Video Editor - Adobe Premier Pro 2.0/Final Cut Pro HD
Matthew Flinders Anglican College
matthewsmith1000@hotmail.com for MSN
Certificate III in Live Production, Theatre and Events (Technical Operations) CUE 30203.

Posted Image

#8 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (Frodo @ Jan 7 2006, 07:54 AM)
In aus where im located the 3 phase is 32 amp per phase there for if you wanted to use 1 phase to a full loading of 32 amp you need to have 4 GPO's (3 x 10 amp, 1 x 2 amp (i think this would work i dont know though) powering the  phase.

thanks,
frodo

Disclaimer: i accept no responsiblity for any harm that may be cause if a person may reproduce this device.

Frodo,

I can definately say that the type of device you have described above is total ILLEGAL and dangerous and I emplore anyone who read the above description NOT TO ATTEMPT BUILDING IT.

I could go into great depth in the explanation of why this is so bad but the short version is that you can and will most likely damage your equipment and may also end up killing someone if not yourself.

regards
Theatrel
( Licensed Electrician, Brisbane Qld Australia )

#9 Frodo

Frodo

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Production, IT

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Theatrel @ Jan 9 2006, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Frodo @ Jan 7 2006, 07:54 AM)
In aus where im located the 3 phase is 32 amp per phase there for if you wanted to use 1 phase to a full loading of 32 amp you need to have 4 GPO's (3 x 10 amp, 1 x 2 amp (i think this would work i dont know though) powering the  phase.

thanks,
frodo

Frodo,

I can definately say that the type of device you have described above is total ILLEGAL and dangerous and I emplore anyone who read the above description NOT TO ATTEMPT BUILDING IT.

I could go into great depth in the explanation of why this is so bad but the short version is that you can and will most likely damage your equipment and may also end up killing someone if not yourself.

regards
Theatrel
( Licensed Electrician, Brisbane Qld Australia )

it was a theorical idea stating the fact of how it could be done and alot of people know the risk's but thank you very much for clarifying this for me im 15 and therefore cannot complete electrical courses but do know the risks to poke holes in my post it's firstly illegal to have multiple power leads running to a device AND NO ONE SHOULD EVER TRY THIS as Theatrel stated but also this to theatrel i am aggitated that you think that people are stupid and to think people would actually try this including myself. when i need this lead ill just come to you with my 350 dollars for the 3 phase plug and a slab of beer should make it all legit.

peace out LSC Users

Matthew Smith

• Lighting Designer/Operator - LSC Maxim MP/2 x LSC EPak Dimmers/2 x Martin Mac 250 Kryptons &
    Lightfactory/Jands ESP II 24/2 x Jands FP12-A Dimmers
  • Followspot Operator - Selecon Chorus 1200/LSC MonoPak
  • Sound Technician - Soundcraft Spirit Powerstation 1200
  • Camera Operator - Sony VX2100, Focus FireStore FS-4 & Canon XL1S
  • Vision Mixer - Focus MX 4DV
  • Video Editor - Adobe Premier Pro 2.0/Final Cut Pro HD
Matthew Flinders Anglican College
matthewsmith1000@hotmail.com for MSN
Certificate III in Live Production, Theatre and Events (Technical Operations) CUE 30203.

Posted Image

#10 Theatrel

Theatrel

• Beta Testers
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Frodo @ Jan 10 2006, 01:34 AM)
it was a theorical idea stating the fact of how it could be done and alot of people know the risk's but thank you very much for clarifying this for me im 15 and therefore cannot complete electrical courses but do know the risks to poke holes in my post it's firstly illegal to have multiple power leads running to a device AND NO ONE SHOULD EVER TRY THIS as Theatrel stated but also this to theatrel i am aggitated that you think that people are stupid and to think people would actually try this including myself. when i need this lead ill just come to you with my 350 dollars for the 3 phase plug and a slab of beer should make it all legit.

peace out LSC Users

Frodo,

I am sorry you felt aggitated by my response, that was not my intention.
My response was driven from my many years of electrical training, theatre experience and from having seen some of the results of such wiring connections and the hazards that they can create.

Theatrel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users