12 replies to this topic

#1 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I get Artnet output from both Ethernet 1 and Ethernet 2, but not at the same time.

As soon as I plug in both I only get output from Ethernet 1.

Can anyone confirm that output from both should be possible ?

As they have different IP addresses I'm thinking that could be a problem, but it's quite clear in the manual.

(And what else would you need two outputs for....)

(Eth1 = 192.168.1.137 and Eth2 = 192.168.1.138 btw.)

- Ringen -

#2 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

The current setup is that we only send Art-Net via one ethernet port at a time. This is due to issues where Art-Net floods a network and makes using other devices (eg. TouchOSC) very slow and unresponsive.

Ethernet 1 has highest priority, so if there is anything connected to Eth1 Art-Net gets sent via this port. If nothing is connected to Eth1 then Art-Net will be sent to whatever is connected to Eth2. This provides an automatic failsafe. If you connect both ports to your network and Eth1 fails, the system will automatically start transmitting on Eth2 and the show can go on.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#3 Klaus Bolte

Klaus Bolte

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hello Ringen,

you sending ArtNet on very strange IP addresses, usually for ArtNet  the range 2.0.0.1 >>> or  10.0.0.1 >>> are used with the Subnetmask 255.0.0.0 as business standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art-Net

Regards,

Klaus

#4 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Well, once again I've wasted time for tests assuming the manual was right....

I find the explanation a bit odd. 

* It seems unlikely that Artnet could slow down a Gigabit network even with 64 universes as 4000+ is estimated as possible

* Is OSC really that much used that it has your priority ? Is this what most users want ?

* I'll have to add a switch just to get a local Artnet, and when doing so I introduce more equipment that can fail in my main feed to the stage.

* It seems risky to have a system like this. Imagine someone using Ethernet 2 for output - works great. Then just by plugging in something to Ethernet 1 the artnet is gone on #2....

* How is OSC affected ? Is that available on both ports always?

I suggest you change the current setup or at least make simultaneous artnet output an option.

- Ringen -

#5 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

Hi Klaus

I know the ranges you list is the default, but it doesn't really matter. Custom is also allowed in the spec.

It's my data network and it make sens to have media server and everything on the same IP-range and be able to transfer files if needed. (Been using Clarity on a computer up until now)

I could reach the mediaserver on stage with Teamviewer for instance to configure.

I've noticed it's possible to add more IP addresses to the same network card but I haven't really found the need.

- Ringen -

#6 Klaus Bolte

Klaus Bolte

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hi Klaus

I know the ranges you list is the default, but it doesn't really matter. Custom is also allowed in the spec.

It's my data network and it make sens to have media server and everything on the same IP-range and be able to transfer files if needed. (Been using Clarity on a computer up until now)

I could reach the mediaserver on stage with Teamviewer for instance to configure.

I've noticed it's possible to add more IP addresses to the same network card but I haven't really found the need.

Hi Ringen,

for sure you can do this but at least it's never a good idea to have ArtNet togther with other networks on the same line, as Richie wrote ArtNet is very agressiv.

And this is not a clarity issue. I'm running all the time when i use Catalyst-Server 1 ArtNet-Network (Port1) and 1 Remote Network (Port2) to get rid of all this problems.

Usally all newer Server for exampel have 2 Network-ports. Did you ever used sACN? In the next Release Clarity will support this.

Regards,

Klaus

#7 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi Ringen,

The feedback we have from many users is that Art-Net uses very large amounts of bandwidth and that it does cause network speed issues. For the large TV events we do in Australia (which are only 20-30 universes) the client employs a dedicated network engineer to create the network for all the lighting and media servers as otherwise they found there were small issues with lag and bandwidth limits otherwise.

Very sorry you wasted time on this, we will correct the user manual in the next release.

As far as I am aware every console and dedicated media server box does the same thing, they keep Art-Net on one connector and everything on the other.

We will add this request to the wishlist, but it will be a low priority for the moment.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#8 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Guess I'd better buy a reliable switch....

I'm surprised to hear about the Art-net bandwidth issues. I always thought the actual amount of data transferred with Art-Net / OSC was a drop in the ocean.

My own testing showed just that. Sending 32 universes from LX600 to my computer utilized 0.37% of the network bandwidth...

I have no experience with real life use of 32 universes though.

However I ran into massive problems when using a managed switch that I bought by mistake. I think it's good advise to stay away from those.

(Art-Net fell to 5-8 packets/sec)

Klaus : Never used sACN, just seen it mentioned here and there. Is that a good alternative ?

- Ringen -

#9 Klaus Bolte

Klaus Bolte

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hi Ringen,

sACN is not so common in europe, the most people do it like i wrote one network for ArtNet (2.0.0.XXX) and one for communication,monitoring or content-upload (192.168.XXX.XXX).

In the US sACN is often used in broadway-production or theaters where they have to send everything on the same network for what ever reason.

However if you want to use sACN make sure that your media-server or DMX-gateway also speak sACN, for example:

http://www.lsclighti...exus-converters

If you work with a lot different ArtNet-Devices in one network (send and recieve) sometimes trouble occur, often unicast is helping out, but i speak about real huge instalations.

And not all softwares, server or lighting-boards can handle or support unicast ...

Regards,

Klaus

#10 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info Klaus.

Richie :

I noticed the lights by the Ethernet ports sometimes is Blue/Purple and sometimes Yellow/Green.

What does this tell me ?

And from earlier

* How is OSC affected ? Is that available on both ports always?

(It too is dependent on IP address so I'm thinking maybe not?   That could explain various trouble to connect.)

- Ringen -

#11 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

The Blue/Purple indicates 1000MB connection.
The Green/yellow indicates 100MB connection.

The flashing colour change in both cases indicates dats being sent/received.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#12 Ringen

Ringen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

Did some testing today with 100Mbit and 1Gb switch and got the opposite ......B/P = 100Mb  G/Y = 1Gb   

- Ringen -

#13 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

Hmmm. I will double check.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users