MIDI Show Control

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Troy

Troy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have had a look through the forums and can't see much demand (actually not even a single reference) to MIDI Show Control (MSC).

Has it been requested as a feature yet?

Almost all of the shows we work on now have some sort of MSC implementation - and while MTC or MIDI NoteON is handy - it doesn't provide the power that MSC does.

#2 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi Troy,

No, yours is the first request for MSC. It has now been added to the list of things people want. However unless we get a heap more requests it is likely to stay at the very bottom of the priority list.

FYI - We have implemented OSC in Clarity v2.0 OSC was designed to be a MIDI for the 21st century, and is based on XML. We have decided that this is where we will focus our rescourses, as it is Open Source and can be sent over ethernet, giving it far greater scope than MIDI.

I have not looked, but I am pretty sure that someone will have created a bit of software/hardware to convert OSC to MIDI & visaversa.
Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#3 Troy

Troy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Cheers, OSC is a great idea - but not really being used as far as I have seen for much show control.

Most theatrical show control applications - for example QLab - don't embrace (yet?) OSC - because it's just not anywhere near where MSC is at the moment.

Even just adding a reduced MSC command set (GO, STOP) would be helpful.

FYI http://www.midi.org/...di/midi-osc.php

#4 Klaus Bolte

Klaus Bolte

Advanced Member

• Beta Testers
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hello,
we also use Midi MSC a lot for Show-Control with Catalyst and SAMS-Show-Control.
so it is still needed and known by the people.
So please push it on the list a bit forward, cause we need it also right now ...

Regards,
Klaus

#5 lumination

lumination

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

Guys check out BOME Midi Translator it totally rocks with that you can convert Any form of Midi to any other IE. MSC or just plain Midi Notes and velocity to OSC.

I just finished programing Midi Notes into MSC so Notes = Cue List and Velocity = Cue Numbers

Jason.

Jason Jones The Glasshouse Port Macquarie

#6 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:11 AM

Guys check out BOME Midi Translator it totally rocks with that you can convert Any form of Midi to any other IE. MSC or just plain Midi Notes and velocity to OSC.

I just finished programing Midi Notes into MSC so Notes = Cue List and Velocity = Cue Numbers

Jason.

Good find Jason.

That will solve a lot of problems for a lot of people using lots of different products, including but not limited to Clarity.

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users