3 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 06:36 AM

Hi,

Need some help to write a fixture template for the pat pad and a LED lamp fixture which has no single intensity channel - just 3 channels for each color

Basically channel map is
1 = red intensity
2 = green intensity
3 = blue intensity
4 = strobe effect
5 = fade in/out effect
6 = control channel

I want to be able to control overall intensity (for whatever RGB mix set on the pad-pad) with the Maxium Fader... Because of the way the Maxium templates work - they expect an intensity channel for the desk fader - not 3 separate dmx channels.

thanks

Jason

#2 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi Jason,

If you have the latest v3.xx software installed in your console then there is a way to create a virtual dimmer channel for the LED fixtures. Any attribute that you want to be connected to the Virtual Dimmer (yellow fader) just needs the lower case letter i inserted before the name (see sample below, but do not use the bold font when you insert the i into your template).

attribute
name = i"RED"
channel = 1
homeVal = 255

So you can have any channel/s assigned to the virtual dimmer, such as RDG, RGBA, RGBAW, etc.

There is a sample template on the download page under "Generic" brand called "RGB LED" that has this all working. I have attached a copy for your use as well.

Attached Files

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

#3 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Hi

Thank you.

As an FYI to others reading - I needed to upgrade to the latest software 3.3 as version 3.01 didn't work, and also had to delete and re-load the template into the library to get things working.

One thing I have noticed is I can't seem to get the LED lamps to black out when the fader is at 0% and /or the pat-pad values are set to 0 also. Not sure if it is something I have done or another issue... will post a reply if I solve.

Have also uploaded the template file in case anyone else is interested too.

thanks Jason

Attached Files

#4 LSC TechSupport

LSC TechSupport

Guru

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • Interests:My wife and two daughters, Water skiing, Sleeping :-)

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

There is a small issue with the maXim's virtual dimmer function for LED's. The lowest level that the colours ever go to is 1/255. On most fixtures this is such a tiny amount of light that it is of no consequence (a bit like when we all used to run a 3% pre-heat on incandescent lamps) - all you see if a small glow when looking directly at the fixture.

However on some very cheap fixtures the dimming is not at all linear and this level of ~0.3% on DMX can result in the fixture putting out 10-20% light output. There is not much we can do about this, it is the way the fixture is designed, and whilst we are clever we cannot work miracles rolleyes.gif

Regards
Richie Mickan
TechSupport
LSC Lighting Systems
LSC Web Site
Email me

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users